Wednesday, December 20, 2017

12/20/17 Fog, The Saddest Cloud?

    We have not had fog lately, but tonight (Monday) was sort of scary, dreary and different.  Add to that the fact that the lights were not on along the freeway and it really felt like we were in isolated groups.  I felt going in a comparison to Lord Of The Rings The Twin Towers, going in to battle, not knowing what is on the other side of the fog.  It felt like line up and hit it to get on the freeway, seeing only a handful of cars in your immediate pocket of visibility.  I am not sure why the lights were out, maybe from the construction going on, but around the motor mile where all the dealerships are at, the highway was just dark and ominous.  I really didn't want to have to climb up and go over the flyovers when all you can see is the pavement slowy ascending and breaking to the right.
    Down at the surface level, I saw a numbskull approach the intersection at the same time I did, but he clearly did not have intentions of doing a complete stop.  Why?  In this weather, where you can't see clearly, and I almost end you, why do you still not make a full stop and look around?  Must be nice to have a lizard brain, only reacting to outside stimuli.  Usually, I am running around half asleep, but in this weather, my body knows it has to be alert, I am sitting up, using my fog lights, being careful not to get close to any idiot in front of me.
    As bad as I might think it is here, it is way worse for Wife who has to drive between small towns.  Usually, it is great, light traffic, makes it in great time, but when it gets foggy, usually coincides with deer season and they like to cross the highway, and usually in pairs.  You might miss the first bigger one, but the stupider slower one still has to run through, and that is the one one usually hits.
    To me, fog has always been a cloud, too fat to climb up into the sky where it belongs.  It is full of rain, but it lacks something to lift it.  I was glad that after my lunch break, it had done whatever it needed and it was gone, leaving a heavy mist in its place, but at least everything was visible.

No comments:

Post a Comment