Sunday, December 10, 2017

12/10/17 Microsoft Problems Always Solved With A Reboot?

    We had an ongoing problem with my Boy's heater in his 2014 Edge.  It is too new to have problems, and I don't think we have ever had problems with a car's heater.  Be that as it may, these last few days sucked, when we got the snow, there was no way he was going to be able to drive his car and have that snow and ice melt.  Wife, trying to stay ahead of the problem, was texting and calling me to take him to his friends apartment in San Marcos, so he could ride the bus, I was hoping the school would have been shut down like most every other school around here was.  Either his friend's really care about him or Wife called them and pleaded them to come pick him up, so he would be within a bus ride in the morning.  While I kept hoping to hear that the University was closed, I suggested I could take him halfway, maybe meet at Cabela's.  Boy then said not to worry about it, they would come pick him up.  I felt a little bad, I didn't want to go out in the shitty weather, but I also didn't want these poor kids going out and freezing on my account, but hey, they are younger and apparently stronger than I.
    Today is Saturday morning and Boy took Wife's vehicle, mostly because it has heaters and thus should be safer to ride.  I finally got curious and went out and looked at the vehicle, turning it on while I looked at the manual, hoping it would mention that there is a specific fuse for the heater coil or something and to find it blown out.  I did not, and I was going to give up, but I had YouTube open and tried s generic se2013 arch "bad thermostat 2014 Ford Edge".  A guy popped up with a 2013 Ford Edge and looked very much like ours.  It was a short 2-3 minute video but he seemed aware that things like this should have access to a self diagnostic tool, internally.  In his video, he pressed power and defrost at the same, this got something going internally and we could see the fan speed going up and starting over as if counting down.  After it stopped it read 88 88.  He said he read somewhere that this indicated everything was reset to factory standard.  His heater started working after this.  Cool beans!
    What did I have to lose, I was already lubed up and expecting for Ford to once again give me that good loving without permission in the rear?  Do you think the guys at Ford would say "hey, this one is on us.  It just needed a quick reboot."  No, they would have found a way for their conscious to be ok with charging me $200-300.  Anyways, I went and did what the guy did and Voila!, Heat is restored to my son's vehicle.
    Not only do I look like a badass that can fix shit, I also saved me the $200-$300 or maybe more, and I got a blog story out of it.  Reminds me of that song by the great DJ Khaled "All I do is win."

No comments:

Post a Comment