Sunday, December 24, 2017

12/24/17 Thirty Years And Counting?

    I thought I had written about this last month, but I did not see any self reflection writings, so here goes.  Wife and I are going strong at thirty plus years together.  Our first date was on November 13 1987.  Well, there was a little grab assery on a bus a couple weeks before, but we hardly talked, it was mostly me poking my fingers through her knitted sweater in an attempt to touch her perky 14 year old boobies.  Relax, I was sixteen at the time and this was fun enough for me.  Not so much fun the following weekend when I was still with my girlfriend and kind of ran into her at a carnival downtown.  Forced to shit or get off the pot, I had to man up and break up with the other girlfriend and quick.  It was some of the harder shit I have done in my life, I have never liked hurting people and taking me away from your life is going to hurt you, a lot.  I kid.
    It being a small town, I was already familiar with her mom, I frequently went and "conversed" with her, she worked at the local drug store and it was one of the only places in that shitty town to buy cassettes.  They used to keep the cassettes in a locked case with holes big enough to stick your hand, take out the cassettes from the wall holder and look at the song list on the back and the cover art, but I guess they got stolen so much you couldn't walk around with them.  They also sold guitars and other stuff, not just drug store stuff.
    We have been together a long time, but we have not been together together long enough, I think.  After two years of high school, I went to the Junior college, she spent the two years finishing high school, then she went to the junior college, and I went to UT in Austin.  We were dating for two years, almost broke up, then when it seemed like I might actually go to medical school, we were "blessed" by Boy.  That gave her a free ride to Austin and for about a year we were together all the time, but I was working in a dead end job at a warehouse that normally worked me 60-70 hours.  Upon quitting, I ended up at AMD where we were normal more or less for a year, then I went to nights and I have been on nights for about twenty two years, then to add insult to injury, now Wife is not even in town during the week as she has been working three hours away for the last two years.
    If we have a secret to keeping the relationship alive it's we have only been together about 4 of those years and the first two she was still living at her folks, so really we have been living together two years and twenty years of weekends and holidays.  She asked me if we were codependent on each other, I said no.  We live apart from each other five days a week, and I am not calling you every five minutes to see if I should make eggs or take out the trash.  We have separate lives during the week and we find a way to get through it until the weekend.  I really think the time apart helps, I am a pain in the ass and she can be quite difficult too, especially when she thinks it helps to get on our boys if they aren't doing great in each class.
    Hopefully, we can see another thirty or fifty years together, I do feel like you are my perfect partner, giving me plenty of leash to feel like I am free to run around and do as I like, but also being there the minute I need something right by my side.  I love you, Big Girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment