Wednesday, October 4, 2017

10/4/17 Being Competitive- Is It A Dying Strategy?

    There was a time when our company had over 35 people.  There was a lot of redundancy and with that a lot of redundant work.  I remember fighting for more than my share of the work, any excuse to get some overtime.  As the years went by, we stopped being a small part of a large system and became our own living organism.  We had to get smarter and more efficient or drown from our own inability to acclimate to our new environment.  We started trimming people and with that, work.  I could still periodically count on some overflow work to get my OT, but even that eventually died down.
    We are down to about 18 employees, the biggest group being administration, which they like to say that labor is the biggest cost, but at least we each of us touch product and turn it into money.  The same cannot be said about so many cubicle dwellers.  I say administratively, that is our biggest cost.  I can't say there are many people to compete with, we have become kind of a group that needs to work together to continue existing.  The dynamic is different, I kind of get it, although I'm not sure if that is the best way.
    Wife at least is still competing strongly, and making headway.  She has joined a group with a scary reputation.  She naturally has always had leader and a bit of a "biotch" streak in her, but not in a bad way.  She explains how she does some of her things and how she has to explain to teachers like they are "children" and I think "yup, bitch in training."  I think this little bit of spark will make her flourish at her next stop.  TEA is like the "boogeyman" for schools.  They show up, go over all your files and paperwork and find your deficiencies and decide whether you can continue or if they need to step in.  She says her new supervisor is intense and a true Type A, along with some of the others who have survived her cuts.  I tell her that is awesome, you will finally have sharks to train with, to make you that killer that I have always wanted you to be.  I think she should be a few steps ahead of where she is, but she has always been too nice and quick to bow to her superiors.  If she can get just a touch of venom in her bite, I think she will carve out a nice niche for herself.  I want to see her get past me in salary and compensation.  She has it in her to lead, she just needs that little bit more to grab that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment