Friday, October 27, 2017

10/28/17 Towing An Injured Car?

    Two days ago Girlie asked if I would help her tow her car to the dealership after it started smoking.  I said I couldn't until Friday because I am working and need to sleep during the week.  She said Friday worked for her too since it was the end of the week and she would get out of work by 1:00pm.  Before committing, I told her she needed to get a trailer because I was not going to tow a car across town with a chain, it is too dangerous and would probably lead to my back bumper getting dinged up or worse.  She said she had already called U-Haul and had asked about renting a car trailer which impressed me a bit that she had already done that much.
    I got up, showered, remembered I was almost empty on gas, went and filled up and then she got home and we left.  I of course ran the scenario in my head and figured if we leave the house by 1:00pm, we should be done and back by 4:00pm.  It's just a quick run up north and back.  Just in case, I did tell Boy to be ready to pick up Chubs if I was detained for any reason.  The trailer took half an hour, putting us behind my schedule in my head, but the guy there explained almost everything in good detail.  We left to her Mom's house to get the car, so we could be on our way.
    There was no one at home, so it was just going to be us loading the car, thankfully it was running, so we didn't have to push it on the ramp.  Everything was going fairly smoothly until she got the car up on the trailer, the wheel wells on the trailer were high, blocking both doors from opening.  My thought is that the trailer was meant for a pick-up truck or something taller.  I guess you either have to decide if you're going to do a Dukes Of Hazzard exit through the window or crawl your way through the trunk.  She tried the trunk, but couldn't figure out how to fold the seats down.  I finally said come out through the window, I'll hold you and you can wiggle out.  She squeezed out enough to land on my shoulder and I pulled her out.  This didn't seem right, but nobody explained otherwise.  I said I guess we're driving with your window open, good thing it isn't raining.  The drive took a long time, thanks to Austin traffic, but it was non eventful.  When we got up there, she was hesitating getting in through the window, I looked at her and simply said "you know my fat ass is bigger than that window, this is all you."  She climbed up on the wheel well and stuck one leg in and I was holding her as she lifted the other leg up when one of the 4-5 guys standing around from the garage said "hey, what are y'all doing?"  He came over and pulled some pins and the wheel well suddenly folded down and away from the car, making opening the door easy.  We all had a good laugh explaining that's how we did it at home, through the window.  Those guys just shook their heads.
    The rest was standard stuff, it took another fifteen minutes to get the rental ready, we went half a block away to drop off the trailer, came back and she got her rental and we returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment