Friday, October 13, 2017

10/14/17 Alternative Music, The 90's?

    Aw man, I had forgotten about all the good music of the 90's.  It was really good and even an added bonus, those guys (and gals), were still playing their own instruments.  I fumbled into it a couple days ago, after I got my Excursion back and they were done messing with my battery and alternator.  All my presets were gone, and probably did me a favor.  I was stuck listening to the Bridge, and looking for the few good rap songs I like.  I want to like the newer rap stuff, like Childish Gambino, and Lil Dicky, guys not obsessed with their cocks,their guns, or their money (come on who drives a 'rari to the HEB to buy a gallon of milk, fucking idiots!).  While you are at it, put your freaking money in the bank and stop counting it, the bank at least pays you a little interest.
    Anyways, I was looking for stations to put on my presets and I ended up on Lithium, I think.  It just took me back to that time in my life, riding around in my Ford Ranger, life feeling brand new, living in Austin, poor not from owning too much house, but from being a student.  In my first jobs I could blast a stereo and I did all day long.  Driving the forklift in the warehouse listening to 101X and later even in the LCRA lab, I remember buying a special stereo that would get reception there, it was hard, for some reason.
    The guys making that music were real, it felt like any group of idiots with a guitar and a drum set could set out and succeed.  They weren't allowed to make music because they looked a certain way,  today, everything seems visually driven.  Also, this was not the complicated music of the 80's.  Say what you want about heavy metal music, most of those guitarists were classically trained and you can hear it in their riffs, they left me feeling like no way could I get that good, but then the 90's went more basic with the grunge sound.  I loved an interview with John Popper, lead singer of Blues Traveler, with Carolla.  It was something to the effect of I wasn't a popular guy in high school, I stayed locked up with my harmonica and came out a maestro of the instrument.  My point is that anyone could have luck and 15 minutes of fame then.  Nowadays, you got Taylor Swift or Nikki Minaj.  There is very little variety in the sound coming from the radio.  Wife cannot stand anything remotely related to rap, even as I am trying to explain that the newest guys are different.
    The music from the 90's though almost feels like the stuff from the 60's.  Guys (and gals) having fun and making music in the process.  What is more fun than a song about Peaches, or Wynona's Big Brown Beaver?

No comments:

Post a Comment