Saturday, October 28, 2017

10/29/17 Too Cold For Fiesta, Just Right For In-Law Visit?

    We were supposed to go back to Fiesta Texas today but the weather was a little too chilly for most.  Instead, Wife and her family decided to just make it a get together with food and possibly a movie would be involved.  I was fighting the idea of going because I didn't want to go to the movies and watch a stupid movie that would be ok for the little ones.  Wife finally convinced me to join with the promise that I could stay and nap at my in-laws if the movie materialized.
    We got there and it almost felt like Thanksgiving with a table full of finger foods and assorted snacks.  There were popcorn balls, nachos, spinach dip, fried tacos, dips, biscuit sandwiches with chicken salad in them, sausages, wings, pizza, and sodas, to name a few things.
    We weren't in any particular hurry, Chubs had had a sleepover and his friends were still here until around 3:00pm.  We got up around noon, made pancakes, sausages, and bacon/egg tacos, and some juice to go with it.  Girlie got home just in time for lunch, she joined us and filled us in on looking for apartments and stuff.  We must have sat for an hour talking with her because it was 4:00pm when we went upstairs to get ready to go to San Antonio, and of course, I wanted a nap more than anything.  I laid down just for 15 minutes, I told Wife. That turned into an hour, with Wife yelling "get up" and "come on" every five minutes.  I just did not feel like getting going.  She said just put on clothes, get in the car and I'll drive.  You can sleep over there, if you want too.  I did sleep on the road, all the way.  We stopped for pizzas at Domino's and I didn't even feel them gone for 10 minutes, according to Wife.
    My batteries were charged just enough for arrival.  I managed to stay awake the whole time I was there.  We ate, everything was delicious, then I well commandeered my in-laws bathroom, but then I told the kids to beat it and changed the TV from stupid cartoons no one was watching to football.  Of course, as soon as I did that the kids were wondering why I didn't want to watch cartoons, not that they were sitting either.  Feeling a little Dick-ish, I told them because I wasn't a kid and I wasn't slow.  The little one kept asking for cartoons but I punished him for forcing a prayer at every meal.  I was then asking them questions about their religious studies and throwing ideas at them about religion to mess with their little heads.   One of them said God made everything, I said how about the dinosaurs?  You know, the bible says the world is 4000 years old, but the dinosaurs were here billions of years ago.  They didn't have an answer, then I gradually got into a conversation with my brother in law that lasted for an hour or more.  He favors a belief,  but has questions.  He likes to think of God as an actual alien that has the technology to create humans and fill planets with them.  This lead us on an interesting talk, but I would not agree with him when he said all people are inherently good.  I think people are good because we are satiated currently.  We have laws and rules we follow.  If, for example, we did not have food, and we had to take it from a neighbor, would we be so nice?  How do people treat each other in Africa where rape seems to be common place?
    As for my nephews, both their parents are educated, I sat there and heard the three younger kids talking like God was this magical being and felt myself getting dumber.  I have always talked to my kids at my level, I never want them thinking there is magic through prayer.  Nobody told me to butt in, but I couldn't help myself.  I want them thanking the chef if they are going to thank God, add in a thank you Tia for cooking, thanks Grandma for buying the food, etc.  God ain't cooking or feeding anyone as far as I can see.

No comments:

Post a Comment