Tuesday, October 31, 2017

10/31/17 Last Game, O. Henry Vs Bedichek Part II?

    I don't understand why, but Bedichek played O. Henry at the start of the season and again as the close out game.  I was not expecting things to go well, with the team losing a lot of players while O. Henry looked unaffected by the first six weeks report card.  Bedichek has been playing with 11 players on the field and maybe 4-5 guys standing on the sidelines.  I really believe our boys were much improved and although their record might indicate only three wins three losses and one tie.  The losses were all by less than 2-3 points.  I could see Chubs self confidence grow all season, he walks bigger and more confidently.  This may just be stepping into his teen years, but I can tell a difference that wasn't there a year ago.
    The game started with O. Henry receiving the ball and they moved confidently through a couple first downs.  They then managed to fumble the ball and this led to the first Bedichek touchdown.  2pt conversion was missed.  There was another score in the 2nd quarter and they did convert the 2pt conversion to go up 14-6 in the half.  As an interesting aside, they called for volunteers to be on the chain gang (10 yard markers for first down and stuff) and Boy and I went out there.  I was nervous and a little pissed at first because I went to watch the game, but it was fun being on the field so close to the action.  Javelina, as coach calls Chubs (coach is from Carrizo Springs and knows our son went to Crystal City "Javelinas)for a few weeks last year, hence the nickname) had an awesome tackle between the linemen and I couldn't help but yell when I saw them get up and saw #95.  I kept yelling "go Mijo, fill that gap, Hit somebody, Go Javelina" until the referee told me the main referee told him to tell me to shut it, we aren't supposed to be cheering or coaching from the chain gang.
    The game goes by so much faster working it like we were.  It was the first game my folks came up to see Javelina play and they were not disappointed.  My dad was a little worried in the first quarter he didn't play too much, but as the game went on, he ended up playing most of the game offense and defense.  By the start of the 4th quarter, Bedichek scored another TD to go up 22-6.  The other team scored again, but missed their 2pt conversion, so with about three minutes left, it didn't seem possible they would score twice, so game looked ours and then our guys ran it all the way back on the kickoff, O. Hare gave up or something, they threw up an interception, our guys ran it back most of the way, then on the next play ran it in again.  At least our QB took a knee on the 2pt conversions and they weren't trying to run up the score, it just happened in the final minute.  I believe the final score was 34-12.  Javelina was happy and we went to celebrate at Cheddar's.

No comments:

Post a Comment