Saturday, January 17, 2015

1/17/15 Obsessive Much?

    My wife has always said I am OCD.  I obsess over anything that catches my fancy, from people to things.  I am noticing that my boys are following my path, and quite possibly becoming more and more like me. 
    For example, Chubs found a catchy but lame Pokémon song on Youtube on his phone last week.  He is now playing it non-stop, either on his headphones while he does his homework, or I hear it coming from his room as I pass by.  The whole Pokémon thing was nearly non-existent to him a month ago.  But over the holidays, he seems to have gotten over Halo and now he only wants to "catch 'em all".
    I find Boy obsessing over one thing or another in his own space.  He started "needing" guns, so I caved in and Santa bought him a rifle last Christmas, this Christmas he got a handgun.  You would think he has two firearms, but no.  In that time frame, his grandpa gave him another high caliber rifle and a shotgun, and one of his uncles gave him another rifle.  Boy now has about 6-7 firearms.  I would worry a bit, but he has been very responsible, cleans them after every use, seems to know way more than I ever cared to know about them, so I guess it's good.
    Another obsession of his is computers.  He begged me for a top of the line, at the time, laptop two birthdays ago.  I walked in to Fry's saying I wouldn't spend more than $1500, but he talked me up to a steal of a laptop for $2700, it was originally $3500, but had been returned the day before.  I said fine, but no more computers from me until you bring home a degree.  Fast forward to him getting a job, and building an even faster home computer the size of a small dishwasher, then him talking me into giving him an IPAD I was given at work, then another portable laptop because "IPADs are not very good for engineers" his words and his fancy laptop was too heavy for him to carry every day.
    He also has a thing for knives, at some point he talked me into getting him a $150 knife that could help fix his guns out on the field.  Plus his uncles keep bartering and trading with him, and always seems to have a new knife on him.  He was funny when I got him his first knife, at probably 10 years old.  It was a tiny red Swiss Army knife with a one inch blade, he cut his finger within an hour and returned it to me saying "I'm not ready for this Dad" as he walked off to tape his hand.
    This blog, my wife suggested I start as a way to focus my obsessive needs.  It seems to be working, but sometimes I write 4-5 at a time, and then I have to be patient since I want to only release one a day.  Another obsession has been my need to start my work night listening to certain CDs on youtube.  I discovered Passenger a couple months ago, and the music just seems written for me.  This led to James Hunt, and to Jack Johnson, then Norah Jones, and recently Mumford and Sons.  Sometimes I don't even have time to get on Netflix before I've listened to everything I need to listen to. 
    I have had other obsessions, in high school nobody spent more time than me on their instrument, which is one reason I got All State Honors my senior year.  I was then obsessed in college with weight loss, and I lost over 100lbs, but I lived on tuna and cereal and played basketball every free minute I had.  Marriage put a quick stop to that, and as soon as I started working, I got caught up with working as much as possible, which carries through to today.
    I've had other obsessions, involving my hot tub and such, but I'll save that for another day, trying to keep this PG peeps.  But yes, no, yes and of course yes to what you're thinking.    

No comments:

Post a Comment