Tuesday, August 30, 2022

8/30/22 My Own Handyman?

     Like I said a couple weeks ago, if it's not one thing around the house, it is another.  Last week, I was dealing with the dryer vent getting plugged up and making the dryer not want to work.  As soon as I cleared the ducts of all the wadded-up lint that had collected up over the years, we moved in 2007 and I had never cleaned it, the dryer started working properly.  We had been running two cycles of drying with every load since the machine was new.  Because it was a cheap machine, I assumed it was the best it could do.  Not that I usually buy cheaper tools, but after spending $1200 on a fully automated dryer with all the bells and whistles and it barely lasting 3-4 years, I was not going to do that again.

    Anyways, the new problem appearing was the light in the closet of Mijo's new room, or Boy's old room.  When we were moving him in, I noticed it flickered a bit.  I kind of thought it might be the bulbs, fixing to burn out.  I don't think we had replaced any of the bulbs in any of the closets of the house, so it probably is about that time.  Then last week, I was in there messing around with Mijo's clothes, I am excited because I've been buying him ties, mostly gold or tan ones, to wear for game days, when they are supposed to dress up.  I had gotten him a tie hanger and was hanging yet more ties I had ordered on Amazon, great prices, when I saw that the bulb failed to turn on.  I figured I'll change it when I get more time.  A day or two passed and I went in there again and noticed the light was on.  I didn't think much of it, but then that night, Mijo came and asked about his lights and fan not working.  I went and looked at the breakers and the one for his room had tripped.  I was half asleep when I did, but I showed him what to do.  He then went and turned it on a 2nd and maybe third time before Wife got involved and started asking questions.  I then thought there might be something wrong with that light fixture.

    I went and took it off, yes, I turned the breaker off.  Once off, it shouldn't be a problem anymore.  It was kind of rusted and even the bulbs were all black and charred in the metal part that screws in.  I decided this was trash and just went and bought a new one.  It took me about twenty minutes, but I installed a new one, bought a box of a dozen bulbs and at some point, I will go around and replace the rest of the bulbs in the other closets.  I bought some whiter bulbs that match the intensity of daytime, so even though the bulbs are only 60w, it looks much brighter in the closet than before when there were two more yellowish/tan-ish bulbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment