Wednesday, August 17, 2022

8/15/22 Last First Day Of School?

     I had been thinking about this for a while this summer, that once this year starts, we are off to the races and getting to the finish line (graduation).  I've teared up a time or three thinking that next year I won't be driving him every morning to school, sometimes joking, sometimes arguing, but that has been my job with him, and I enjoy it 95% of the time, especially since I don't really work nights anymore and I am alert.  The reality was way different.  Nothing like I had thought it would be.

    First off, he had an awesome plan, he was just going to wear hoodies as his clothing.  Because of this, I had been buying him nice hoodies.  He just asked for a new bag of white T-shirts.  Sunday, we went to the mall in the afternoon, after we came home and slept some after the sunrise thing.  I kept telling him, "Get some polos or new button-down shirts, just in case you have to dress nice one day."  Nope, he knows what he's doing.  Fast forward to around 8:00pm, he was in his room talking to his GF, and suddenly he comes down and tells us "I need some new shirts, she told me I am not going to wear hoodies all year, she wants to match outfits."  I just stared at him in disbelief, all I could do was laugh, and call him an Idiot.  The best I can do is go tomorrow and get you some, but you need to get through Monday.

    Back to the Monday at school, he wore an old freshman-year shirt which he has really likes, but looks old, to me.  When we got there, one of his teachers saw him outside and commented, "Oh, I see you're going for that retro 80's look."  I followed with "No, he's going for that I am an Idiot who doesn't listen look."  We know her pretty well (she was their shotput/discus coach), so she knew I was joking, then I explained the whole GF thing, which she didn't know about, so I filled her in.  She has been their class sponsor since freshman year, so she knows the kids well, at least the ones we know.

    All the familiar faces of the booster club were there, so it made it easy to just lay low and hang out.  I saw most of Mijo's friends and other football players going in.  We took some pictures, but there was more an air of fun and excitement.  The lead mom is a bigger ball of energy than Wife and she was literally getting in all the kid's way before going in, telling them to get their phones out, set a message to mom or close family and set it to picture.  She was then taking their pics, giving the seniors a shirt and they would move on.  They also had little snack cakes, so the mood was fun. 

    I was there from 7:45am to about 9:30am but the time passed by pretty quickly.  After that, I headed to the mall to be the parent that I am, getting shirts for my Knucklehead, then going home to get ready for work.  I liked the whole experience overall.  Plus, Boy was around for almost 10 years after he graduated, so it's not like Mijo will just disappear.



No comments:

Post a Comment