Sunday, August 14, 2022

8/11/22 When It Rains It Storms?

     I have been so busy the past four days; I hadn't even had time to sit and write.  Here we go.  Girlie found out the boyfriend had not been paying the rental she was going to use to get to Indiana, so that was a big blow.  Turns out, Hertz called her to inform her that she had to either pay the car 's rental rate due or they were going to label the car as being stolen.  This was a big shock, so she went and paid it without talking to the BF.  The outstanding bill was about $1700.  This left her with about $1500 on her credit card.  Before her car accident, she had planned to have around $4000 to go.  Now, as of Friday, she was down to less than $1700, including the cash she had in her bank account.

    In a state of mixed emotions and frustration she rented a U-haul and told me she was going to leave Thursday.  When I got home, I told her this was a stupid idea and to cut it out and think.  She was mad at the BF, who we have all repeatedly told her was going to screw her over again but was going to end up punishing herself.  I sat her down and we did some real simple math.  The U-haul was going to cost her $1300, she already had that quote.  I told her based on the 1200 miles; gas is going to be about $400-$500.  I told her flat out, you are going to run out of money about 300 miles shy of your destination and then what?  You need money to pay rent to the people letting you stay with them, you need food, you still don't have any transportation over there.  I told her to slow her ass down, I don't want to be sending her money for gas before she even gets there.

    She waited the night, then in the morning, Wife and I had gotten a chance to talk, and we decided it would be safer if she just flew.  We offered, but she didn't like the idea because she was planning on taking about a U-Haul's worth of stuff.  I took her to run some last-minute errands and I thought of just renting a car for the drive.  We came back to the house and looked at prices for a medium SUV and the price was still high, around $600, one way, but it would get her there with her stuff.  I told her it'll be half the cost for the vehicle, compared to a U-Haul and probably half as much for gas.  She put it on her card and although I didn't think she would go, she did.  I helped her plan, thinking it would take her three days, if she stopped to rest, leaving Friday in the afternoon, but she drank some Redbulls and got there driving all night.

    I was scared for her, you hear of so many dangerous things that can happen on the road (specially for young females), just a flat tire would be disastrous, in the wrong place.  Luckily, all went well.  We texted a bit today (Sunday), and she has already decorated her room, bought an inflatable mattress and seemed at home.  She can now focus on her internship, a part time job, and then getting back for her diploma in four months.

No comments:

Post a Comment