Sunday, August 21, 2022

8/21/22 Turning 51?

     I have now been asked how I feel about turning 51 by both Wife and Mijo.  Thirty years ago, I would have thought I would be old by now, and honestly, when I see my peers around my age, some do look old.  I don't feel old, other than a bad knee, a little bit of a bad back, I mostly feel like my sense of self is still very alert.  I am still telling myself all I have to do is start and keep up a workout routine to strengthen both back and knees and I would be fine, but something always seems more important, like a cup of coffee in the morning.

    I don't know where I'll be in a few years, or who will be riding the journey with me, but my life has been good to great.  About ten years ago, Wife and I came up with a plan, call it a five-year plan if it needs a name, but that is when she decided to go back to school, get her master's, and since then she has been working out of town and all that stuff.  My focus has been to stick close to my boys, so they stay on the straight and narrow, focusing on them growing up.  Now that Wife is all schooled up, she is able to bring in more income, even if she has surpassed me, I still win because all her extra money is our extra money, so life is good and getting gooder.  😉

    I think we did a good job with Boy; it took longer than planned, but he did just graduate with an engineering degree and right at this moment, he is in Japan (for two weeks), sent there by work to fix something or other.  I call that a success, and even then, he is still driven to get more out of his chosen profession, as he keeps applying for better paying jobs.  I see Mijo climbing a lot farther than I ever attempted, after we provided the tools for him.  Our husky Mijo is now a senior in high school, and he is basically my full-time attention as I play Alfred to his Batman.  He is also on a good trajectory, he is loved by all his teachers and coaches, just this week chosen to be the student athlete leader for his football team by his coaches.

    Maybe at 51 I should be driving a better vehicle, but I don't really care too much.  I could go any day and buy one, but I keep waiting and hoping Ford comes to its senses and releases another Excursion.  I am happy enough with our big house and how we are living.  Yes, it is hectic, driving around Austin sucks, and I don't love my job, but everyone has to something, and what I do for pay is not hard.  I am thinking in another year or two, once Mijo is well into college life, I can once again focus on me, and get another boat to ride on into our sunset years.

No comments:

Post a Comment