Tuesday, February 9, 2016

2/9/16 Cable Has Gone The Way Of The Dodo?

    Wife started discussing getting rid of cable recently.  My first reaction was slow down, Cowboy.  We need TV just as much as the daily paper, whoops got rid of that two years ago.  We then started discussing it, and we don't turn on the TV until late in the day.  Apparently rabbit ears will get reception of the biggest channels: ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and PBS amongst a couple others. 
    If we go this route, we do need to keep a high speed internet connection, nowadays, that is more important than cable, because of YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and other services I am not even aware of.  Netflix brings us movies that are fairly new, plus they have been doing their own shows and some are top quality, with none of the bullshit conservative overtones.  If people fuck, titties will be out, I hate the regular stations that never show nudity even in context.  If watching a show with bad guys, no one utters one cuss word.  Shit, even the good guys say fuck when they are shot at in real life, I believe.
    Hulu shows most regular TV programming, maybe a day or two late, and we watch most everything saved and at our convenience, since I am working when things play normally.  Which means strike two for the cable companies.  The other thing that is pissing me off is that we changed from Time Warner Cable a few years ago because we were paying $280 or so a month for cable, internet, and a home phone.  U-Verse gave us pricing in the $180 region for the same, so it seemed like an easy savings of $100.  Yet here we are a year or so later and the bill has creeped up into the lower $200s.  Last I looked it was at $215, give it a couple more years and it will be around $250 or more.  Do bills ever creep down, instead of up?
    I was real excited when we switched, because without realizing it, we got the Longhorn channel, BUT, the Longhorns have been fizzling for about four years now.  I am not sure they deserve their own sports channel.  It seems every time my dad comes down and he doesn't like leaving the house he catches the greatest Longhorns game ever, the 2005 National Championship against USC.  It certainly was a great game, but I've now seen it about three times, nothing changes re-watching it.
    I have tested the rabbit ears.  I hung a small 20 inch TV in the bathroom, so Wife can see the news in the morning, and the 7-8 channels that show up are very clean and crisp, and the antenna is a very cheap old fashion rabbit ears type.  There are new antennas that have further range and some even require hanging outside of the house, I'm not sure about that.
    It certainly is starting to feel like a new world.  I thought cable and the paper were essentials at some point, but apparently not.  I don't think things will change much.  Those of us that choose to be ignorant can certainly get lost in the tons of distractions that exist, and if we choose to stay connected with a faster evolving world, well the internet might be a better tool.  We can go look for the news instead of waiting to be told what is important to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment