Sunday, February 21, 2016

2/21/16 If A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words?

    I stumbled upon a bag of old 35mm 4x6 pictures and even better, the packets had CDs which have the pics in digital format.  I started loading the pics on my laptop and realized I had already done this before on our last laptop.  Being that the pictures were also physical in their 4x6 existence, I also have them in photo albums, which I personally really like.  What do people do with their pictures now?  I know most of us just carry the newest pictures on our phones, but it wasn't even that long ago people still used dedicated cameras for picture taking. 
    I have several underwater cameras myself, Wife has a handful of 35mm cameras in our storage boxes and I even have a giant SLR camera with different lenses when I thought I might have artist potential in me.  In reality, I just tried talking people into letting me photograph them naked.  It was much harder back then, because the film still needed to be produced somewhere.
    Today, pictures are just done on your phone, sent to the people involved and occasionally uploaded to Face Book or Instagram.  Quality is so good, they can even be blown up to poster size if you wanted.  Was there a time people carried a photo album with them, to show people at work what their baby did, or is that just a new thing where we show our coworkers and friends way too much of what happens behind closed doors?  My mom just has her house filled with pics on every wall of us in our various stages of life.  From little kids to married family men with our own kids.  What is the proper reaction to pictures of ourselves?  At one point of the spectrum, it can be sad how fast time has flown, we are no longer babies, time is fleeting.  On the other hand, our parents get to see the fruits of their labor.  We are all grown and successful, with our own little families doing it the right way.
    Ten years ago, more or less, we were up to like 50 rolls of unprocessed rolls of 35mm pictures.  I didn't even know what was on the rolls, Wife and I made a concerted effort to start taking all the rolls in.  Most we took to Best Buy, they had photo drop off with next day service, and we could pay with Best Buy card.  If we dropped off 10 rolls, and each was $12-$14 to process, that was $120-$150.  Eventually, all the rolls were turned into pictures and CDs, we bought a bunch of photo albums and I put them together.  At the time, I thought it would be interesting to see if we would have a whole wall of photo albums in due time.  We filled one big book shelf, before going completely digital, and we probably have more pictures in this laptop I am writing on than the bookshelf I thought would continue growing.
    Wife has three old phones, loaded with pictures which she intends to develop somehow.  She brings them out occasionally, I figure they are her pics, she's a big girl, she can handle them.  I have the same problem, but I connect my phone to the laptop, once in a while, so most of my camera pics are also on laptop.

No comments:

Post a Comment