Thursday, February 11, 2016

2/11/16 New Furniture, How Often?

    Here is a new question, since I am such a tool to marketing.  How often do people change out their furniture?  I know the commercials say mattresses double in weight every seven years, and that is not true, but it gives some general lifecycle of a bed, although the last mattress we bought had a ten year warranty.  Should we be changing our sofas out every fifteen years, or do we just wait until they tear or the family pet leaves them smelling like animal?
    We have had the same dining table for probably ten years.  It is still in pretty good shape, although I gave it a tremendous gash on the edge when I loaded it in the Uhaul.  We keep using it because it gets the job done.  I see the new counter height tables and I think they would be great.  I would even like a slightly smaller table for the space in the kitchen.  Our current table can fit 6-7 chairs around it, but that means that it is a good sized round table and most of the time, it takes up that space.  It just makes it a little harder to access the pantry doors and to open the window when we are not running the A/C.  I love the idea of a round table, like King Arthur no one is more important when we sit to eat, we are all equals and all that good stuff, round is a hard shape to fit in a square house.  A rectangular table would be a much better fit to the space we have.  Maybe someday.
    Same thing goes for the sofas.  We have a sofa and four leather armchairs set up in the living room.  They kind of match in color, but two of the chairs are a slightly different style, they are all leather.  I have them all against the wall, we rarely sit in the living room unless we are going to watch TV.  When friends come over, we stay in the kitchen, turning on the TV usually turns off the conversation.  But anyways, are we supposed to have a coffee table, only I drink coffee, when the boys were smaller, I worried they would hit their heads on such pieces of random wood furniture, so we never shopped for a good table for the living room.  I do like those that the table top kicks up so one can eat on them, maybe we'll add one of these one of these days.
    The rest of the rooms for the most part are bedrooms, I figure no new bedroom sets, unless one of the beds breaks, a possibility with our big butts.  We don't have the waterbeds I originally had when we married but the other beds are still in the house.  They serve as beds in the guest rooms, and I wouldn't consider throwing them away, my Dad says he sleeps better on those beds than his own back home, so they must still be ok.
    I should stop listening to all the marketing, otherwise I'll be shopping for a new house every seven years.  A new car every five years, bed every seven years, new underwear every six months, new shoes every nine months.  Sounds like they just want us to replace stuff that doesn't normally get replaced, and  I thought those guys were being honest.  Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment