Saturday, February 13, 2016

2/13/16 What Is Going On With This Weather?

    I love the mild evenings where it might be nippy outside, but inside the house is a perfect 69 or 70. It just feels perfect to have that one window open to allow a perfect breeze to come wash over us.  I do worry this is the second year in a row we really don't have a winter.  It has been cold a couple of days, but no cold front has kept it freezing for more than a couple hours.  During the fall, there was talk of an especially cold winter due to movement of El Niño but so far I have not noticed even more rain than usual.
    We are in our 2nd or 3rd week of temperatures in the 70s to low 80s during the day, falling into the upper 40s and 50s, at night.  Downstairs, the temperature stays pretty constant and comfortable, upstairs it is sometimes iffy on whether we should turn on A/C in the evening.  If I go through and open the windows, it has been enough to get thermostat to read 72 or lower by midnight.  Are we blessed or are we cursed?  On the one hand, we don't have to worry about snow on the roads, or ice to slide us off the road.  On the other, winter can be downright boring, such as Christmas being in the low 80s, so it didn't feel like a day to stay inside and enjoy the family.  That is one day I always hope is covered in snow, although it never is.
    Tonight (Friday) finds the weather at a very mild 59.  We have a few windows open upstairs, and I haven't even covered myself, except for the bedsheet.  A comforter feels like overkill, I really need to change the comforter back to our quilt, which is lighter.  By the way, this is my favorite reason to have a two story house.  I love that we can sleep with the windows open and not worry about aholes seeing a window open as an opportunity to break in.  All the windows and doors are alarmed downstairs, but not upstairs.  This used to piss me off when we moved in, until I realized that the windows are high enough on the 2nd story, that a criminal would need to show up with a ladder, possible but unlikely.
    Chubs and I are sticking with shorts, for most days.  We know that even if it seems cool in the morning, by the afternoon, the weather will acclimate to the warmer feel.  Thinking about it, I should probably go cut the grass, it is still kind of growing, again, because it hasn't been that cold, I don't think the grass is fully hibernating.
    The one thing that does piss me off is the little spurts of drizzle that seem to happen after I wash my truck.  The truck is black, so I want to keep it spotless, but what can you do against a drizzle?  It seems silly to go back the next day and rewash the truck, I could, it'd be free, but I don't think I'm that douche-y yet.  Oh well, I shouldn't complain, people up north are covered in snow, some people are drowning in floods, whining over a little drizzle seems petty, and I do love sleeping with natural, clean air coming in, with only a fan to cool us.

No comments:

Post a Comment