Monday, February 22, 2016

2/22/16 Sundays Suck The Most?

    I have always hated Sundays.  Sure, they are a lazy day, but to us people always in a rush, Sundays need to get with the rest of the week.  First of all, some businesses still hold the idea they can be closed on Sundays.  If it was a family business, fine I guess I understand that.  But big stores shouldn't be playing these games, Hobby Lobby is a million dollar business, good thing everything they sell can be bought cheaper at Wal-Mart or some of its competitors.  Chick-Fil-A, which I do love, is another business headed by a dummy who insists it is a good idea to close on Sundays. 
    My hatred started back when I was going to UT in the early 90s.  I would periodically go visit my folks for the weekend, but coming back on Sunday evenings, there would be nothing but crap on the radio.  I am not sure if like Boy says, they put in the D squad, or if by law all stations have to slow it down, but music on the radios on Sunday is never right.
    Then there are the hours, if a business is open, they will have earlier hours on Sunday.  Sometimes there is an emergency, and you need something from the mall, or even Home Depot or Lowe's.  The mall closing down on Sundays at 6:00pm seems so antiquated.  But I guess we are used to it, nobody really complains about it.  I do notice the longer hours during the Christmas season, no harm there running the mall to 11:00 or even midnight.
    My one favorite thing on Sundays is breakfast.  I loved it growing up, whether we went to church or not, my dad would tend to be there, even if he worked every other day of the week, and we would go get barbacoa.  Barbacoa I guess is a Mexican thing, the head of a cow gets cooked, and the meat is all removed, including tongue, cheek and brains (anyone wanna try an eyeball?).  Back then you could see the texture of the brain which my Dad would ask for some to be included on purpose.  It would be white and spongy, not good by itself, but mixed in it added a weird yummy texture.  I buy barbacoa nowadays, just had it today, but it has to be something different.  I haven't noticed any brains in it, or the texture of the tongue, which you would remove the outer skin, a tongue is all muscle or meat, very good.
    Then there is the evenings nowadays.  Boy comes into town, to work, we just happen to exist in his back-up house, but usually is in a rush to get back to San Marcos, so he doesn't even eat dinner with us.  Usually, we get him on Friday or Saturday, but I worked both those evenings, and he had plans anyway on Saturday.  And even ole Chubs goes to bed early, to start the week strong, so again, other than being restful, Sundays have always had that solitary feeling to me.
    Ehh, it is probably a good thing to slow down.  I was ready to go work again for the would have been 7th night in a row, I am not young anymore, it was for the better that I stayed home and just slept and acted lazy all day.  We did go get a Dairy Queen blizzard, that was fun, with the top down, right at sunset, followed by grilling a little BBQ just the three of us.  Tomorrow is another week, getting closer to Spring Break, see what happens then.

No comments:

Post a Comment