Tuesday, February 8, 2022

2/8/22 Big Empty House?

     There are times it feels like the house just stores our stuff, and we get to do very little living in it.  During the week, I am not even sure if I should be opening the blinds and curtains, since by the time Wife gets home, it will be after 6:00pm and probably already dark.  We have argued about this, since I believe it is good to have some light come into the house, first thing I do in the mornings is go around and open the blinds.  First thing Wife does when she gets home, then is go around and close the blinds.  I know because I am here, like on Fridays, and occasionally she makes it home before it gets dark, and she still wants the blinds closed, for privacy.

    Maybe it's because Boy is fixing to move, but we do have a lot of house, and for long stretches of time, only 1-2 of us is here.  I am here alone from 7:00am when I take Baby A to school until 1:00pm, when I head into work, used to be until around 6:00pm before I went to work.  Honestly, though, with prices being what they are here in Austin, it would be impossible to try and move to even a smaller house.  It would cost more than this house cost us 15 years ago with the median price of new homes being very close to $500,000, if you can even find one.

    It is not actually a bad problem, to have too much space.  I have to say, even our utilities are not bad now, since we replaced the A/C units, our electric bill has been a lot better.  We used to get light bills of $300-$400 in the summer, and that was with the solar panels "helping".  Now, it is not uncommon to see our light bill at $69, or so.  Given that, there is no real reason to move if it's to save money on light.

    I still have a feeling someone else might end up living with us, we have had a few people moving in for periods of time, it is always interesting to have other people's energy around.  I don't think it will be the same people, Girlie is fixing to move in with her BF, DD is now a dad, and happily married.  My brother never liked Austin, which I am starting to feel this way too.  It sucks trying to get out to do anything nowadays and just running into too many people everywhere.

    Because of Covid, we have gotten used to just being home, so on the weekends when we do get to be home, it has felt like awhile with all the wrestling tournaments, it is nice to know we have room to all be here and not on top of each other.  Boy has entertained many times whole groups of people and we just go to our rooms and don't even feel that there are people in the house.  That is one of the great things of living in a big house.

No comments:

Post a Comment