Wednesday, February 23, 2022

2/23/22 Boy Is In Process Of Moving Out?

     I don't know if we say he moved out quite yet, it is still ongoing, but he does have an apartment, got the keys yesterday (Monday) and has started taking his stuff out, slowly.  I have very mixed feelings on this.  First, we are Hispanic and thus, very close.  My older white friend at work is chuckling at me saying he should have moved out a long time ago.  I can see that in a perfect world that would be the case, I moved out at 21, but I was moving here, to Austin to come to school at UT.  On the other hand, as he says, he will be 28 next month, and has been in a serious relationship for a few years now.  I did offer the chance for the girlfriend to move in and live with us, but she has as strong a personality as me and we just clashed in too many circumstances.  This may work in Boy's favor as Wife can and is a huge pain in the ass as well, strong women are, they just don't let us men do as we want.

    Although I feel a little sadness inside, I know we must let our little bird fly and make his way.  At this point, he is one class away from his degree (even with bad dyslexia, this boy doesn't quit), he has told us he has applied for graduation, he has a very good job at one of the big semiconductor companies in town, so he should be good going forward.  They have rented an apartment way up north, he said it was the cheapest decent place they could find.  It is over by Braker Lane, which is where I used to drive to back when I got my first job driving a forklift after I graduated and was lost for a bit as to what to do about my future.  He describes it as a nice place, it is gated the unit is a 2-bedroom one, he needs space for all his gadgets and stuff he has accumulated.

    The idea of him moving out has me rethinking our house.  It now seems huge, with 5-bedrooms, and only two being used now, we have almost too much space.  The problem is we couldn't even find a nice 3-bedroom house for half the value of this house, so it would not be cost conscious to move down.  Maybe if we sold this house, I guess theoretically, we might get enough to pay off most of a new house, but I don't want to jump into any decisions right away.

    We have told them to try it out, leaving out on their own.  If it is too hard, they are actively trying to save money for a down payment, they might or could move back in and try again, to live here and save money.  Baby A also has another year to go before he graduates high school.  I don't know, maybe if things work a certain way, we could end up selling and move ourselves to the coast, which has been one of our dreams all along.  It would be hard to displace ourselves, but it's not like work is appreciating us and paying us what we are worth, I am just too lazy to go out and find another job.  Austin has become ridiculously expensive to live in, something has to give at a certain point.

No comments:

Post a Comment