Tuesday, February 1, 2022

2/1/22 I Am No Gordon Ramsey, But I'm Trying?

     I am still not sure how it happened, but all of a sudden, I have become the family cook.  I guess it is a long time coming, I have more free time at home, technically.  I was telling Wife just casually last week something like "shit, I am the cook now, I am making all our meals."  I wasn't trying to pick a fight, just mentioned it casually, but of course, say that to any woman, and she'll be looking for a fight.  Wife looked at me like I was lying then I counted the days.  In the end, she just said "Good, you're home, get to work!"  I guess as my skills get better, I don't mind doing the cooking, but it has to be stuff I want to do.

    This week kind of started with BBQ leftovers.  Technically, it was a meal Wife cooked Sunday, but I went to the store and chose the meat, then I cleaned and started the grill.  She just flipped the meat once or twice.  In reality, Baby A and I ate at Bill Miller after I picked him up afterschool.  I like having a chance to sit with the boy and hearing what he was up to during the day.  For tonight (Tuesday), I already made some tuna, which is now sitting in the fridge waiting for tonight.  Wife and Mijo have both said they like the tuna how I make it.  I like to throw in a couple potatoes, and 9-10 eggs, with 3 big cans of tuna.  I am planning on using the Crockpot for the next two days, I have pork Carnitas cooking tomorrow in Salsa Verde sauce, and I am going to try chicken in Crockpot for the first time on Thursday.  I saw a recipe online and already bought all the ingredients.

    Because I work nights and Wife doesn't get home until 6:30pm, we can't rely on traditional cooking on the stove when she gets home.  I like the Crockpot, we can go real slow cooking things, so I can start it before I head to work and have it be ready, more or less, by the time Wife gets home.  Another idea that has worked a couple times is preparing a whole chicken, cut up into its parts, and set up on a tray to go in the oven.  Wife can then get home, throw it in the oven, go shower, then have it be close to done by the time she gets outside.

    I can also do the occasional steak on a pan, and even macaroni and stuff like that, so I guess I have come along way, baby.  Which still leaves me wondering, I do all the work around the house during the week, how do I still get called a male chauvinist pig?  I'm fucking awesome is what I am! 

No comments:

Post a Comment