Wednesday, September 7, 2016

9/7/16 Worst Part Of Lifting Weights Is Starting?

    I have been lifting weights on and off again since about 1991.  Back in my UT days, I had two roommates who were both into it and I got interested as it seemed like the thing to do at that age.  Coming out of high school, I had been in band and was pretty much overweight.  I decided to lose weight while at the junior college and was pretty successful by cutting out all eating during the day.  I would only eat once I got home.  It cut calories and saved me money.  I also was playing as much basketball as I could.
    The guys I hung with at the junior college were into sports things, but not weightlifting and not like my roommates.  It was hard at first, I remember not being as strong as either of them, but still was as big as them.  "Oh, you big pussy!" was a line that sticks with me.  Still, that motivation kept me going, eventually I was strong enough to keep up with them.  It is a funny way that lifting weights works.  Once I got up to "1 plate" = large 45 pound weight on either side, I was sort of normal.  It did not take long, maybe a couple months to get up to "2 plates" is standard weight, tells me you are doing OK.  I've gotten close to "3 plates" several times, with the bar that is 315, but it helps to have a lifting partner.
    After my lifting days at UT, and we had been married, Wife and I actually joined a gym on Riverside back in the day, but eventually we stopped going.  About that time, I started buying my own, figuring, if I lifted daily, it would be an investment in me.  I used them for some time, but it has been very hit and miss.  I am writing this because we just got a new gym in the bldg. I work in.  I have been going to it for the last three weeks, and happily, I am getting past the sore stages of lifting.  When you start, after taking months long breaks, it is very hard to get past the soreness to reach that plateau level where you can think about growing to the next step.  I would say if you can go and work out a muscle group for about a month, twice a week, you can get to the point where the pains start to subside and you can start to feel like you are getting stronger.
    Currently, I am working the chest and arms on Mondays and Wednesdays and shoulders and a little on the legs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  While I do that, I am also walking again, and at this point doing four miles a night, again.  It is starting to feel good, like it is making a difference, but man, any excuse not to do it, and right back to square one.  I gotta be more disciplined.

No comments:

Post a Comment