Wednesday, September 21, 2016

9/22/16 Modern Marvels?

    I love the time we are living in.  Last week, Chubs showed me his phone and the lens on the back camera was broke.  I thought that sucks, I hope you are near your two year thing, otherwise you are screwed, Buddy.  We have Sprint and we can get new phones every two years, seems about right, except Boy always beats us somehow.
    I then thought about it, and looked on youtube on replacing a camera lens on a Samsung S6.  There really was not much to it.  It is so sleek and aerodynamic with no screws because the phone is held together by glue.  The first step to changing out the lens was to take a heat gun although a hair dryer does the same thing, and apply heat to get the glue moist and loose.  In the example, the guy used a bunch of guitar picks to go all the way around, I used razor blades, we keep bunches of them here at work.  Once you go all the way around and loosen the glue, the back cover pops off.  It wasn't necessarily a "pop", but it opened up enough and I was able to remove it without breaking it.  The lens in the youtube example popped right off.  I thought I was going to break something as I had to apply a ton of pressure with the tweezers, and razor blade and pick.  Eventually, I overcame the stickiness of the glue and it came off.
    I had told Boy to go to Amazon or Ebay and get me a replacement lens since he orders stuff online day and night.  I don't know why he didn't make it easier for me, but the part came and I owed $1.78, so the US postal service could not just leave it by the door.  $200 shoes, no problem, $1000 computers, no problem, we'll leave it here in your patio.  But this measly part that cost $4.99 needed a signature and the $1.78 mentioned.  I went today half expecting to be in line for a good half hour like last time I went and picked up a letter, but today it was empty.  I was sure the part would be wrong or something, nothing is ever that easy for me.
    Once I removed the old lens, the new one slipped right on, it had its own thin layer of glue.  I then took a practice image and it looks like new.  I slapped the back cover back on and put it in its Otter Box to protect it.  Part of the reason it broke was that when we went to Florida, they had a Star Wars machine that would make a phone protector with your name and Star Wars logos on it.  It was very nice and sleek, but I noticed that it wasn't meant for protection, it was meant to look cool.  So, of course, at the first opportunity, the lens broke, I'm surprised it lasted three months.  Phones need to be in Otter boxes, I drop mine from about two-three feet all the time when I fall asleep, and it is still good as new.
    By modern marvels, I meant youtube and Amazon/ebay which together will show you how to build/fix/modify anything, and then you can go to Amazon or E-bay and order the parts and have them at your house in a matter of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment