Sunday, September 4, 2016

9/5/16 I Said No To Another Rolex, Maybe?

    I have been slumming by Ben Bridge lately, I guess because of Wife's new raise, I am feeling entitled to get me a new watch.  The last time I was in there, I was asked if I wanted to be invited to the rolling Rolex sale, which showcases up to 100 used watches which make their way from store to store across the US.  I, of course, said yes.  They then texted me Saturday morning that the watches had shown up here a week earlier than expected, if I was interested, the watches would be on display starting today, Saturday.
    We are in the middle of a lazy Labor Day weekend.  If things were normal, we would probably have spent our last weekend in Corpus Christi before bringing our RV back, but the weird killer bacteria ruined that, and Wife working far away makes being here together that much nicer, so I am ok to just be in town and run around our usual little places, such as the mall.  I told Wife about the watch sale and she of course, rolled her eyes at me, but we didn't have anything better to do.
    We got out there to the mall about 5:00pm.  It was a weird day because I got up at 6:30am to go to the bathroom, then I decided to wake up Wife for a little 1 one on one basketball in bed.  Afterwards, I suggested going for breakfast, Wife said sure, and before we knew it, we were headed to Bill Miller at 7:30am for tacos and coffee.  We came back home and I slept until noon.  Wife didn't wake up  until almost 2:00pm because I came into the room and annoyed her with some You Tube videos.  It took Wife another couple hours to be ready which she says was so I could sleep, which I did.
    At last, fast forward to the mall, and they had a bunch of Rolex watches in different styles and looks.  Some you could tell were very old, and some looked newer.  The sales lady was very patient and even educated us on some details.  She showed us a $45,000 platinum watch which was distinctive in its weight, much heavier than the gold or silver varieties, but too rich for this Beaner.  I was there for a Submariner type, preferably in the two tone, with a blue face.  They did not have my dream watch, they did have three other watches in the Submariner type.  There was a GMT Master II, a Submariner, and a Deep-sea Dweller.  Honestly, they all look the same, but they are a little different in abilities to survive underwater, not that I even know how to dive.  The prices, however, were a different tune.  We are talking used watches, but even then, the GMT Master was $6795, the Submariner was $7700, and the big boy Deep-sea Dweller at an even $10,000.  The Deep-sea Dweller is the one that most caught my fancy, of course.  It fit perfectly, and within minutes, I was ready to trade in my Rolex for it, but Wife kind of said no.  They have always said I could trade in my watch, if I was willing to upgrade to one 3x the cost of what my gets valued at.  Since they said mine was worth $3080, I would need something in the $9,000.  The $10,000 Deep-sea was perfect.  It was a beefy thick watch.  Maybe I'll panic during the week and try to go back and get it.  I do have two boys, so I need two watches to leave them one day.  My real plan is to have at least four expensive watches, but we will see what the future brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment