Wednesday, September 21, 2016

9/21/16 Shamed Into Submission?

    I thought at least the guys would side with me and my behavior with regard to my leg gashes I got last week while cutting with the lawn mower.  I knew the minute Wife saw it, she would get hysterical and demand I go see a doctor, and eventually when my mom took a second to look away from the grand kids and looked at the picture I sent her of my leg, she too got on the band wagon that I should do something before I lost my leg entirely.  My coworker who treats me like a son has been pissed at me since last week that I haven't seen someone.  Even my workout partner said I am at an age when I should have a reliable doctor I can go see regularly, ughhh (just telling me I'm old).
    My dad was actually funny, as I have been making a little fun of him since my sister was in high school and him not taking care of his diabetes that he wasn't going to make it to walk my sister down the aisle.  I tease him that we are going to call him Stumpy when he loses a leg, so turn about is fair play.  I was talking to my mom and he was off on his rant about "who is going to lose a leg faster now?"  That was kind of funny.
    I have been keeping a close eye on it, and at first I just thought, the skin broke, it'll bleed, and start healing, but after a week, it is still weeping, not blood but whatever else, I don't mean pus.  Part of the problem is that it is on the lower leg above the ankle and just walking puts a lot of stress there.  Plus the fact that I can't just take time to sit and let it heal.  I think I will go today or Thursday to the doctor, Wife wants me to get a round of antibiotics, just in case.  I figure it can't hurt, and it is very helpful that she is in town for a couple days.
    It was kind of funny, I was making coffee at the start of the shift and although we don't share our break room with others, one of the cleaning persons walked in to help himself to coffee.  He asked if it was ok, I am sure he was not expecting to see me there, but someone left me a piece of cheesecake, so I was dragging ass and hanging out in there.  We got to talking and I mentioned my cut, as I have been grossing everybody out with the pics.  He said if I haven't gone to the doctor that there is a free clinic on east 7th, and then he even offered that he had cut himself awhile back and he had an ointment he used that burns a lot, but to prevent infection.  He was a nice guy, told me to use alcohol if nothing else, just to make sure I didn't get an infection.  "One cannot afford to lose a leg, we need our bodies to provide for our family's."  He was genuinely worried.
    I felt pretty stupid then, I told him it is not a matter of money, I am just an Idiot, I put things off because I prioritize everything else over my health.  Now I don't have an excuse, I'll see a doctor.  That might have been the best cup of coffee I have had in a few months.  I started a little wary because a stranger was in "my" territory, but he was nothing but nice and lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment