Friday, September 23, 2016

9/24/16 Five Days Off And All I Got Was A Lousy Scar?

    I have officially changed shifts and we are officially slow and it officially sucks.  That being said, there is no thought of automatic overtime on my short week anymore, I only work 36 hours, so I don't loose much if I decide to stay home, other than vacation hours.  One of my motivators used to be showing up on Thursday and hoping there would be reason enough to stay and sneak a few extra hours on my timecard, with permission of course.  At time and a half, it adds up right away.
    But it is a new world order, and we must be happy with the work given to us.  I say fine, if there is no work, don't blame me for not doing anything, blame the sales guy for focusing all his energy bringing in work for chemistry.  Our sales guy a few years ago had the personality of a catfish, but he kept us super busy.  He supposedly made millions off of us, but he did bring in the work so nobody was complaining, until we slowed down in 2008, then he disappeared.
    Anyways, this is not about him or the good old days, I am I guess complaining about being able to take five days off at a time.  Most people would be happy to do this, but I really am not.  I did it for the sake of my leg and the cut I got while mowing the lawn.  I have now visited two medical facilities and both took over an hour to see me.  The Physician Assistant did not really know what to do about the cut.  Like the doctor at the Urgent Care place, both said the cut was a mess.  They both agree that I should be on some strong antibiotics to kill whatever might be in there.  The PA gave me a second and different set of antibiotics to take, and she also took a culture to grow and see what is on my leg. 
    The best part, for me, is what is worrying them.  The cut is kind of numb, it is not hurting like it should.  When they told me they were going to scrub it clean, the doctor made a face and said sorry but it's going to hurt.  I got nervous, but then the nurse started and I never felt pain, just the cool sensation of the liquid washing over the area.  They checked my glucose, hoping maybe if I am diabetic, it would explain why the slow time to heal, but it was 119, and we had eaten right before.  I had it checked again today (Thursday), and it was 98, so I don't think I have the diabetes.  Their best guess from both locations is spraying with that silver solution I took from my brother in law, which is for burns, cauterized exposed nerves, and that is why nothing is hurting. 
    I want to say it's because I am a man and a half, I have overcome my body mentally and shut down that location's sense of pain, but you simple people will just laugh and say no way, and then there is the fact that in truth I am a weenie.
    Chubs gave me a worried "dad, you're not going to lose your leg, are you?"  I said no, we live in America, not in some third world country.  Maybe I end up in a hospital for a few days getting an IV bag full of antibiotics, and maybe they cut it open and dig out whatever is growing in there, but I'll be fine.  I got medicine running through me now and I can see the cut looked much cleaner today, and raw from the scrubbing on Wednesday, so baby steps, but it will heal.
    I asked the PA if I could scrub on it some more, if she recommended where I could get clean brushing pads.  She must have just seen big dopey Mexican at first, she didn't let me finish the sentence "No!, we don't need you digging in there with whatever you find around the house."  After I clarified she did say "hmm, maybe if you take a baby toothbrush with super soft bristles, clean it with alcohol, and either use Dial soap or that red liquid Wife bought, it might help.  I am a little excited to sit there tomorrow and see how much crap I can remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment