Monday, November 28, 2022

11/28/22 Honorable Mention?

     Mijo texted today while I was getting ready to go to work and told Wife and I that one of his lineman buddies (his wrestling sparring partner) made the 1st Team All District Team, the other lineman we give a ride to almost every day also made 2nd Team All District, along with one of the freshmen who was moved up specifically to help when he injured himself.  Even his long-time headache, the center who did not like taking direction was also selected to 1st Team All District Center.  All I could think of to say was "Be happy for them, congratulate them, you are all a team and work together.  You all made each other better."  I told him I'm sorry you didn't get a mention, then he said "No, I was nominated as an Honorable Mention too..."  I know it was his goal to make 1st Team All District this year and he probably would have, but being he only played about three and a half games, it would be hard to justify it.

    I told him he should be proud, in all, five of the linemen were selected and recognized.  A year ago, only he had gotten recognition, so I told him it is a sign that all of you got better, plus you know you would have been 1st Team if you weren't injured.  He agreed and said he was happy for his friends who always need some love for the work they put in.  It is a rough thankless job, the kid that made 1st Team was working with an injured back most of the season until he got an MRI which he had some weird disks which were more square-shaped than round.  He got some medication for it and was able to play through the season.  His buddy was also working with a bad shoulder on and off, not really practicing during the week to protect it, then playing on game days, only to go back on the injured list on Mondays most of the season.

    As much as I loved the camaraderie of these big boys and how they played thru the pain, not for the coaches, but for each other, I am glad it came to a stop.  I would totally love to continue seeing Mijo play, but only if he is 100% healthy.  He needs a season of rest and growth.  He is still not 100% healthy in his ankle, but he was jumping around Sunday night showing us it is finally not hurting anymore.  I don't know how much longer he will continue being a warrior, I know he loves it, but there is a life to be lived after high school sports and the last thing I want is him to be limping because of all this, so if it ends after wrestling season, that is ok by me.  If he wants to give it another go in college, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment