Sunday, November 13, 2022

11/11/22 TIme Change Snuck Up On Us?

     As it does every year, the time change showed up when we weren't paying attention and stirred shit up for no reason.  I don't understand why this antiquated system is not retired already.  It is bad enough that it gets darker earlier, when in the summer it might be 9:30pm before the sun sets, in the fall it sets closer to 7:00pm, but then we do something foolish and roll the time back, so it is now darker by 6:00pm.

    Maybe a handful of farmers like this idea to start their day earlier, but farmers are not the majority anymore, they could very easily just start working a little later, and how many crops are they tending to in the fall, anyway?  

    What I hear is that the shorter days are already causing increased cases of depression and Seasonal Mood Disorder, which if it is a thing, I am sure I suffered from for many years.  I don't know what is real and what we manufacture anymore, but Wife convinced me I had SMD because I go through a bit of a depression when the time changes.  I don't think it is as bad anymore, but back in my 20s and 30s, it took me weeks of not feeling right before I would come around.

    The time change was last weekend, I believe, and the biggest adjustment I saw was Mijo's football team, making the playoffs meant practicing for one more week, but their practice field on campus does not have lights and by the time they go outside, it is about dark, so they were borrowing three mini-buses from the district and the coaches were driving them to go practice at the Burger facility, specifically, the smaller Burger field.  I was able to get out early on Wednesday (I actually went back to work and stayed until 4:30am), but I went to see them practice out there and it was a good, fun practice.

    By the time I got there, it was dark, and a rare cool night, before this cold front showed up.  I thought it a perfect night for what turned out to be Mijo's last practice, with temps in the low 70s and the coaches in generally good moods, for once.

    The spring will always come back with its longer days, and make things better, but for now, we have to accept these shorter days and do the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment