Wednesday, November 16, 2022

11/16/22 Big Box Stores Giving Their Business To Amazon?

     I love convenience, it is probably the main reason I chose to stay in the big city.  When I want something, I like the idea that I can run to the store and buy it.  Growing up in my small town, it was a luxury to go to San Antonio 2-3 times a year to go shopping for school clothes or x-mas gifts.  Leaving in Austin means every week was that time of year, when we could run to the mall any day of the week.  Covid pretty much killed the mall, it is hard to figure when it is open, some of the better stores just closed while we were in quarantine, and then the heist became a loud and round thing, where too many times, and once is too many, idiots ran in there and stole a bunch of Rolex watches, that I am not even comfortable walking around the mall.

    This is not even a complaint about that.  For whatever reason, Mijo could not find socks this morning, so being I am who I am, I figure I'd run to Academy and buy him a pack or two to solve his problem.  Should it really be hard to find socks for a teenager in a store that mainly sells the idea of being an active human that does outdoor shit?  I guess when school is starting, they have socks everywhere, in all sizes, but right now, when they are focused on Santa gifts that barely fit in the back of a truck, socks are a forgotten thing.

    This is what I mean, I feel that they should always have a wall display of the different socks in all the normal sizes people wear.  I saw socks, it seemed 70-80% were for girls, then the other majority were crew length socks, our boy only likes the ankle height ones.  Then they kind of need to be Nike, so they match the shoes, and finally, he needs the plus size ones, which during the start of school, they will carry.  I looked all around the sock wall, then around the shoes and nothing.  Guess where I go when I can't find the stuff I need?  I'm not waiting for the next time socks become important enough to stock, I find them elsewhere, and Amazon always has them ready to roll.

    It sucks but it is the same for stuff like wrestling shoes, I know it is a niche item, I grew up not even knowing wrestling was a thing, but here in Austin, it is pretty big, yet I walked around and saw 1-2 wrestling shoes to choose from.  I can go on Amazon and choose from 20-30 different brands/colors/styles.  Similar thing happened with the football cleats we bought this season, the ones Mijo got were not my first choice.  Every year we had gotten him some full height tank looking shoes to protect his feet and ankles in the trenches, and this year they did not really have those, instead he opted for the ones he got, which looked cool, but only protected his ankle 3/4 of the way.  Maybe this was the reason for the injury, maybe not, but had I seen taller beefier shoes, I would have chosen those.

No comments:

Post a Comment