Sunday, November 20, 2022

11/18/22 First Wrestling Meet For Me?

     It was a bit rough on my end, I worked until past midnight Thursday night, then came home and had to have Mijo at school before 5:00am, sucked but that was the only way to get the team from Crockett to Delco where the competition was.  Coach had said the JV boys would start first, weigh-ins would start at 8:00am, then go until they finished.  I came home and slept until around noon.  I was up at the Delco facility by 1:00pm, I stopped to get some cough medicine for one of the wrestlers, after Mijo told me if I could.

    Upon getting there, I got a lay of the land.  I liked that they had twice the mats than could fit at the Burger complex, there were 6 mats for fighting, which helped move the tourney along.  My main interest is buying the hoodies, when available.  I went and got a few hoodies for Mijo and his boys.  It is kind of fun to walk around, see matches from different corners, I even went down to the floor and watched from ground level.  It is weird, but all the wrestlers just take sections of seating when they show up and that is where they sit and lay.  The girls seem to just curl up and sleep in a blanket on the small floor space between the bleachers.  I rarely see the boys falling asleep in this fashion, although I do see them sleeping in sitting positions for shorter periods.

    It seemed there was a long while when I got there that nobody seemed to be fighting, then all of a sudden about five different boys all went in succession, so that got exciting for a while.  I hate to say it was JV level, but I did like that most of the matches I saw, the boys were winning, seemed like a good sign.

    Mijo was telling me today that it was good to get the new wrestlers into a meet.  Real competition is so much different than practice.  No one goes 100% in practice, everybody holds back.  When fighting in a real competition, he says everything is much more intense and happens faster, so he was glad they all got to experience the real deal.

    I left before 5:00pm to go home and pick up Wife.  I will admit I napped for a while since she was stuck in traffic, but she got home around 7:15pm and we left back to catch the end of the night action by 7:30pm.  It was a good first tournament that we didn't have to be there all day long and because Mijo didn't even wrestle, we didn't have to go back the 2nd day.

No comments:

Post a Comment