Monday, August 6, 2018

8/6/18 Hmm, Sneaky August?

    It is hot, don't get me wrong, but so far, we are a week into August and it has only been in the mid 90's.  Is this part of el nino weather, or was July just hotter than normal?  July seemed to be most every day above 100.  Yes, there is a difference between being in the 90's which is hot and the 100's which just makes you feel like giving up.  Wife was here this afternoon and as we drove to have a late lunch, she commented that with the cloud cover and the A/C in the car it feels like a fall afternoon.  I said yeah, that is the difference between you and I.  I keep the A/C on high even when it cools off, you start messing with the dials like you are saving cold air for the future or for people you might like more, like your coworkers.
    With my leg injury and maybe just getting old, I have spent most of the last two years indoors.  The couple of hours we sat outside at my folk's house this past weekend was the longest I remember being outside this whole year.  I'm not saying I have given up on being outdoorsy, but without a boat or a reason to be outside, I have no inclination to get all hot and sweaty for no reason.  I noticed the yard looking very yellow, so I waited until about 9:30pm before going outside to water the tree I planted and the grass in the front.  I am hoping the tree survives, but I also cannot get myself to come outside during the day and mess around in the direct sunlight.
   I should be glad at least my solar panels are working at peak performance, or they should, it is the hottest time of year, but any cloud cover messes them up.  I am single handedly saving the world, even if my dad rolled his eyes so hard it gave him a headache when I told him I had saved 43 trees last month by installing the panels on our house.  Some people don't see that the world will be saved one step at a time.  43 theoretical trees is a theoretical lot.  At least my conscious is clean when I run around in my Excursion by myself, knowing that my house is not as wasteful as my vehicle.
    My mom has kind of invited us to Corpus a few times, but with Wife working so far away, Boy working Monday through Friday and Javalina down to next week as his last week off and this week he is busy with band camp, we really have a hard time moving as a group.  I don't think we can fit Corpus in this year.  Hearing that the coastal water is full of the red tide and that bacteria levels are high again leaves no desire to go anywhere near it.  Maybe instead of looking at lake homes and/or gulf homes, we would be safer staying home and building our own dream pool, even if it was to cost us +$100,000.  It just seems like swimming in rivers, lakes and even the gulf has become too dangerous to take a chance.
    I know August will remind us of why it is king of the nasty weather.  I know it'll shake off these wimpy 90 degree days and remind us of what it is all about with some dog days of summer at the end of the month.  I just read on dog days..., that is the period between August 3rd and August 11th, so we are about halfway through that period.  Still, the end of the month I am sure will kick our butts.

No comments:

Post a Comment