Saturday, August 11, 2018

8/12/18 Long Freaking Drive?

    We don't get to travel as much as I would like, but when we do a real long drive I always remember Krull before we get going.  Krull was a dorky sci-fi movie from around 1983 which I personally really liked.  It is about aliens landing on a planet in a mountainous fort that disappears daily and sets up in a random part of the world.  This is supposed to be its best way to protect itself from attack.  Anyways, the good guys first off capture a herd of magical Clydesdales and then get help from a seer who tells them where the castle will appear the next day.
    I relate to this in my head because I know that to get somewhere in time will require running at full speed chasing the sun around the world.  I look at Wife and say "Today, we run for humanity, for life, for the right to exist!"  She just rolls her eyes at me saying "yeah Gordito, you're just going to sleep in the car, but whatever..."
    My dad had a procedure in Laredo at the area hospital.  I won't get into specifics but the week leading up to today felt like Alanis Morissette's Ironic song.  He essentially won the "lottery" two weeks ago, becoming 100% disabled as a veteran.  All his benefits improved.  He can park inside the mall now, if he wants, he gets a free fishing license and is guaranteed three fish on the hook every time he goes fishing, and he gets more money.  On the ironic side, he was told he might have two serious life threatening issues that needed to be dealt with now.
    Today was the first hurdle, and as scary as things could be last night, my mom saying he was very nervous, add to that the storms that passed kept them up longer than normal, but luckily, everything that could have been bad today turned out good.  My Dad has about as clean a bill of health as a 70 year old man that smokes two packs a day can expect.  The last time I got too specific about my family's matters, they all hissed and booed at me, so I will stay generic.
    We got there around 10:20am, Dad got out around 10:40am, and we finally got to go see him in his recovery room around 11:00am.  We all celebrated the good news with him and we could see that he was happy to be surrounded by all his kids, three of his five grandkids, Wife and three of my mom's siblings.  Because of his procedure, he could not sit up, but that was not that big a deal.  He had to stay flat for six hours.  My mom pretty much sent us on our way after 12:30pm.  My dad looked like he needed to take a nap.                      
    Coming back was pretty fast, we stopped at Schlitterbahn to drop off Boy with his friends and then we ate at Wings and Rings in New Braunfels.  We made it home by around 6:30pm and I promptly took a nap until about 10:00pm.  Wife woke me to eat, but I only managed to eat a slice of German chocolate Cake which Boy's girlfriend made the night before.  The day came and went as all days do, but I am glad we made the drive, specifically, I am glad Wife has the energy to stay in the driver's seat for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment