Sunday, March 24, 2024

3/24/24 Boy Is Turning 30 Today?

     Our older son turns 30 today, it is a milestone, I believe.  I am so proud of him, he has managed to forge his own way through life and that is not always easy to do, nowadays.  He is employed at one of the larger semiconductor places here in Austin and has managed to get promoted to Engineer 2, so he is on pace for a comfortable life.  He is engaged at the moment and they are fixing to get married here in a year or two.  They have been together for a good 5-6 years and living together the last 2-3 years, which I would have preferred the marriage first, but times, they are a changing.   She has an equally impressive job working for one of the bigger gaming platforms writing code as I understand it, but she gets to work from home, giving them another level of freedom.

    We don't see him as often as I would like, considering we all live in Austin, but he is young, has money, and a good circle of friends that keep them busy, so we have kind of learned to back off and not expect so much of them.  For his birthday, Wife texted him last week about getting together and initially his response was "well, you didn't get on our calendar early enough, we got plans, sorry."  I think he realized that came across super douch-y and he texted us this past weekend that he would like to get together, maybe early on Sunday.  This works for us because we always have to take the younger brother back to Georgetown on Sunday evenings.  We went back and forth a bit and decided on dinner at Saltgrass Steakhouse.  He then called and made reservations for 6:30 pm, which is nice, we should just roll in there and have a table waiting for us.  Plus it's steak, who doesn't like a good steak?

    I was getting thoughts of maybe a nice watch since it is a big birthday, but because of the mountains of medical bills that are sure to rise from being treated for my stuff, Wife says maybe we should skip the expensive gift and just pay for the meal.  I don't like doing it this way, but sometimes, Wife is the smarter more responsible one of the two of us.  I don't know, maybe I'll swing for the fences here in a minute and we go to the Domain shopping, we'll see (writing this on Saturday afternoon).

    (It is now Sunday morning) I have always been irresponsible with money in certain situations and I did convince Wife to go and swing for the fences.  I know everyone I know will call me dumb, but this is my oldest and this is how I show my love.  I am now excited to go meet them tonight and see what he thinks of the gift.  If you read this Boy, I love you, and Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment