Saturday, March 16, 2024

3/16/24 Feeling The Empty Nest?

     I am honestly not used to Mijo going and spending the night at Friend's houses, it was never a thing he did while in school.  This is really only the 2nd or 3rd time I can remember him choosing to do it, but either way, here we find ourselves again, just Wife and I in the house.  Mijo is over in San Marcos, three of his high school friends live in an apartment together, which is great because it makes for a destination where he can go and hang out and feel generally at home.

    Another friend of his called him up midway through Spring Break, he suggested they go hang out at the mall during the week and they did.  This is not one of the regular jock boys that we would see almost daily back in the Crockett days, but he did hang out with him often enough that they have managed to stay friends now in college, even with this kid being up at UNT near Dallas (I believe).  This is one of his few friends that actually drives, so it makes it easier when they make plans, because he can come and pick Mijo up.

    So there we were yesterday afternoon, just Wife and I.  She wanted to go for a drive and then I remembered she's been asking about Trader Joe's, the store.  I don't know why, but she got an itch in her butt, some friend of hers up in San Antonio told her it was a great and cheap place to shop, so she asked me a couple times about it.  I remember walking into one, accidentally, one of the times we were in San Antonio.  I think we had a set time of meeting at the Brazilian Steakhouse and we got there early and it was in the same parking area.  Either way, I was not impressed then and after looking for one in Austin, I was not too impressed with it last night.  It is an okay store, but there were maybe 4-5 aisles, about half as long as the ones in HEB.  Everything is then a much smaller selection, except for the alcohol.  they seemed to have the whole back and side wall decorated with different bottles and cans.  We don't drink enough to even look that way.  We ended up getting a few things and after we talked about it, we decided this could be our dinner, we would just go home, heat this stuff up and watch a movie.  We got a pizza with BBQ sauce and chicken on top, no red sauce.  There was also something Greek with spinach and something buttery cheesy inside and it had a crust that was very flaky, made it so good.  Wife then chose some middle of the road rice and Chinese type chicken, with veggies.  Wife grabbed a small vanilla cake and I grabbed a frozen dessert that had like a dozen bite size little square cake pieces.  I was impressed when we paid and it was all under $50, with prices nowadays.  The best thing and I just ate it this morning as I am writing this was the cinnamon bread which is real dense and tasted out of this world simply toasted.

    We went back home and watched a lame rom-com, followed by another and called it a night.  Mijo texted when he got to his friends which is all we ask, to make sure he got off the freeway okay.  He should be back today, and then he goes back to campus tomorrow.  Spring Break might have gone too quickly, even if we didn't do much, it has been nice to just hang out around the house and be lazy before I start my chemo next week, which has me nervous and a little happy to finally start treating this scary thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment