Thursday, March 21, 2024

3/21/24 MD Anderson Might Get Expensive?

     If they can fix me and keep me going for a couple more decades, I guess it's worth it, but man, it is going to get expensive, even with insurance.  So far, I have been up there twice.  The first time was a Friday and they did blood work, a CT scan, then ultrasound with a biopsy.  These are procedures, I expect them to cost money, no problem.  The following week, we then went up to meet the surgeon and doctor and some of their staff that will be taking care of me.  I didn't expect this to be a huge cost, I guess the surgeon did have his resident look down my nose at my vocal chords with a little camera on a bendy stick through my nose (a little uncomfortable, but not the worst thing in the world).

    This week, I started seeing costs on MyChart, which is the web portal thing we communicate through.  On Sunday, I owed like $1300 or so.  I figured it could wait a day or two, I get paid on Thursday, I'll ignore it til then.  By Tuesday, the amount is now up to $1629.  This is my part of the bill, I expected some of it, I guess it's not too bad, but the breakdown on the itemized sheet is a little much.  If the insurance were to not pay, so far I would owe $19,965.  I guess this is why insurance is so expensive throughout our younger years, because once we get old, there will probably be some big procedure like this.  If I understand correctly, I am supposed to max out on my out of pocket at $5000, so hopefully, that is as much as I'll be expected to pay, out of pocket.

    I was kind of chuckling at first sight, the charge for the surgical visit was $1325, like wow, and all he did was shake my hand, but this had a sub charge of $751 for the laryngoscopy, the bendy tube with camera going down my nose.  I guess ~$500 for the surgeon's time is fair.  There was another charge for the endocrinologist of $777.  It all seemed so nice and clean when I simply swiped my card and they charged me $25 apiece.  

    I want to, but I can't complain.  I am paying not just for the techniques, but also their expertise and knowledge.   I have to remember I paid about the same for the CT scan here, but then all it did was scare the surgeons here to send me there.  If anything, this is when I realize all the bitching and moaning of having to pay for expensive ass insurance finally pays off here.  I just hope it works like it is supposed to and they take care of me.  I want to get to Christmas time and have all this be just a bad memory, with a cool ass neck scar.  My brother always said scars are cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment