Tuesday, April 9, 2024

4/9/24 Heartburn And Hypotension?

     Finding a happy medium is not that easy.  I thought I had figured out this high blood pressure thing, just cut out salt and the pressure will fall.  Another way to get there is to use medication, which I have now two prescriptions to help me keep blood pressure lower.  What nobody has told me is what happens if I actually do what I'm supposed to and my blood pressure responds too well.  Before starting on the chemo, I was walking around somewhere in the lower 130/80 something range.  When I started on it, I shot up to 170/99 and I was told to head to the ER if I did not feel well.  This was all last weekend, Easter Weekend.  I managed to get myself together and decided to cut out sodium, while the endocrinologist suggested I go get an EKG.  Getting the EKG meant talking to a doctor here, and he prescribed a 2nd blood pressure medicine.  I think it just happened that when I started making changes, I also added his blood pressure medicine, and after getting my endocrinologist to approve it, I got on a path to hit these weird numbers over this weekend.

    It kind of sucks that I have the clinical study lady Monday thru Friday, but on the weekend, well everyone is kind of off.  She does communicate, such as she wants to know my bp every morning, but I know she is probably at home with family or whatever and I don't want to be a nuisance.  Anyway, after her encouraging me to eat healthier, which I have, firstly, we are not eating out.  Everything is packed with sodium when it comes to fast food.  I don't like that the average meal is also now closer to $15 a person.  Getting off track here, but I went from normal bp to high last week, now I was teasing with the low numbers, and maybe they are still considered good, but over the last few days, I have read 113/77, which might fall in the normal range, but last night's 106/68 seemed wrong.  I did the only thing I could think of and came into the kitchen at 10:00pm, we had just gotten back from dropping off Mijo at Georgetown, and I ate both a hot dog and a sausage.  I avoided those off the grill because I'm trying to be good, but this felt like an emergency.  I waited about an hour, then checked my bp, it was 129/78, which sounded more normal to me.

    I am not quite sure of the heartburn, but I have a heavy feeling in the center of my stomach/chest.  It's not over the heart, plus I see my bp pressure and heart rate every couple hours, those are fine.  I decided it must be some sort of heartburn, possibly because we are trying to put flavor in our food with maybe too many other seasonings to avoid salt.  I tried a Pepcid AC to see if it would help, but the instructions say it could take up to four days.  I'll probably take another today, see if it helps.

    I'm sure in a couple more days, it'll be something else that is bothering me.

No comments:

Post a Comment