Tuesday, August 8, 2023

8/8/23 Change- Good and Bad?

     What can I say, we are headed into a new chapter of life, whether I am ready or not.  I know change is good, it is how we grow and get better, but goddammit, we have had a good life and following our boys around has been a big part of it.  Today is check-in day for Southwestern University, for the football players, so they can get a couple of weeks of workouts before the fall season gets under way.  Once we decided on this school, things only picked up speed.  There was the commitment after touring the campus, then lining up of financing (we are not rich, this is going to take some huge loans, it is a private school), orientation, doing physicals and getting up to date immunizations, even a sickle cell test, and finally, choosing a dorm room.

    The dorm situation did not work out quite as planned.  First off, during the tour, they showed us the two newer co-ed buildings, and of course, we all agreed, any of these rooms would work.  Then, because he is a freshman, he got to select his room about last, so his only choice for rooms was Ruter Hall, which is the all-male dormitory, with communal showers on each floor, versus showers and baths in their suites.  Mijo was not happy at first, but he is so excited to go to this school that he got over it fairly quickly.  They call themselves the Ruter Rats, I guess because it is the most primitive of the dorms, and it being all-male, they tend to bond differently than in the co-ed halls.

    But here we are, all packed up with our mini fridge, microwave, 4 bins of clothes and supplies, along with cases of water, sports drinks, snacks, and a partridge on a pear tree.  We plan and we buy, and I know there are still going to be things we forgot to get him.  This is what I like about him being less than an hour away, I can run up there and see him and take him stuff he might need any day of the week.

    I have already been a teary-eyed mess the last two weeks, anytime I think this was the last time for this or that, such as last time we drive to Crockett, last time we have a meal after practice, shit, last time he takes out the trash.  I'm at the point Wife just rolls her eyes at me, because she is a robot with no emotions.

    I just have to focus on all the firsts yet to come.  There will be a first day of college, first game he starts, first this and that we don't even know about.  I am sad right this minute, but I also know there will be so much to be excited about in the near future because we have put him in a position where his future is going to only expand and get bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment