Sunday, August 6, 2023

8/6/23 Tour Of Southwestern University?


     Things were moving fast all semester as I said.  Once wrestling ended, we had more pressing things to get on with.  We were continuously discussing what college would be like.  I was still pushing for a college option with wrestling somehow, Mijo was holding out for some sort of football offer so that he could continue playing football in the fall.  I don't think he got too much attention because his senior season was so quiet, due to his injuries.  Still, we as parents did the best we could, even if I kept pushing to keep him within an hour's drive from home.  I just don't believe it helps to have your kid in another state, what if they get ill or there is an emergency?

    Up until this point, we were kind of betting TLU was going to come through, as Mijo's coach had been telling him to apply there.  It seemed like a slam dunk, the previous quarterback and his best receiver were there, so it seemed like coach had a connection with that staff, but even after going and touring and getting accepted to the school, the coaches never reached out that he could join the team.  We were not going to commit to such an expensive school if he was not going to play, for that, he could just go to Texas State, where both Wife and Boy had graduated from.  (We later found out there were coaching staff changes and a lot of turmoil at TLU, so glad we didn't get the call).

    Then Southwestern University, SU, called.  This school is in Georgetown, and I did not know much about it, honestly.  Mijo got excited, I was just going along with it, I figured we could take a tour, meet some coaches, but it seemed like too much money and something I did not feel at home with.  Walking on the campus was an eye-opening experience.  we both immediately fell in love with the campus.  I loved the uniformity. all the main buildings are made with the same white limestone that is very common here in Central Texas, this campus is beautiful and spacious.  I loved that we were told the campus has 500 acres, there is a lot of land just bare and open.  The population is only 1500 students, so it is not a mega campus like UT or Tx State.  Needless to say, we said yes immediately, even with the huge cost it is going to be, it has felt worth it from day one.  The school is in close communication, the head coach texts our son at least once a week, to make sure he is doing well and getting things like his physical completed.  I believe we are paying more, but getting our money's worth with the extra care the coaching staff has already shown.

    We did have a few long talks about the cost, for a moment our fear showed, and I told Mijo it was just going to be too expensive.  Mijo said he understood and tried to keep his composure as he walked upstairs with his head down saying, "It was nice to at least hear from a coach that he would have had me on his team, even if I don't get to play anymore."  Fuck!  That melted me inside, the next day I told Wife we can't say no to this school because of a couple of bucks, it would be like buying a fully loaded F-250.  Let's just do it, we'll figure out a way to pay it later.  Wife had come to the same conclusion, she was all ready to say yes too, and I don't think she was involved in our little exchange the night before.  

    From the moment we said yes and paid the $500 initiation fee, it has been a very positive experience with the school.  They reach out personally, counselors have called, coaches have called.  The head coach gave me his number and said to call if there is any question.  I did text him once and he responded very quickly and friendly enough, so thus far, I am very happy with our choice and Mijo is over the moon that he gets to continue playing football for a few more years.  The biggest reason I support this is because he says he wants to be a coach as his job.  Much like Boy that I knew his personality was that of an engineer and he has found his happy place, Mijo here is a born leader and I believe he was born to coach and lead.  His personality screams "listen to me, I know what I'm doing."

No comments:

Post a Comment