Sunday, August 13, 2023

8/11/23 A Few Days In?

     I cannot write every day, this is one of the reasons I finally took a long break, but I will try to add thoughts as often as possible.  Mijo was left on campus at SU on Tuesday and things got real, fast.  He had been almost braggadocious about wanting to move out and he didn't need Mama and Daddy around, he was ready to go conquer the world.  I knew I was going to be a blubbery crying mess; I did not expect him to fall apart crying when we left, he had been so stoic any other time.  Much like his mom, I thought he was devoid of much emotional feelings.  He admitted later that he didn't realize what alone felt like, as he tried sleeping in the dorms the first night, alone in a room, where there were only about ten total other guys on his floor, and he did not know a single one of them.  He said he was having doubts whether he had done the right thing, going to a school where he was not going to know anyone and have to live on his own.

    After talking with him the next day and multiple times at that, it is quite evident that he is missing us.  He called wanting to know what I was up to, and I think he really just wanted to hear us because he seemed interested in what I did at work and throughout the day, which I am sure he never even paid attention before, asking for more details, which surprised me at first.

    We have gotten in a habit of little phone calls throughout the day, he'll call as he is walking back and forth to his dorm, or he'll call during his long break in the middle of the day, they cannot work out outside when it is 108 degrees, so they are starting their days at 6:30am, then break around 10-11am.  It is a work in progress, I am not great talking on the phone (never have been), I prefer texting, but for Mijo, I will try to be more engaged when he calls.  It is funny, now he seems to get it.  His friend, who is going to Tx State on Thursday this coming week, is acting all macho that he can't wait to move out.  Mijo is now saying, "nah, he thinks it will be easy, that's what I thought, it is a whole other world being out of the house and not having anyone around to talk to."

    Things are getting better for all of us.  He has met a few guys, including the one across the hall from his dorm room, another husky, Hispanic freshman, and we met his parents and exchanged numbers during orientation, hopefully, they'll become good friends, the parents seem likable, and we have been texting with them as well, after they texted us that their son had met ours.  I am over the initial shock of having our baby out of the house, I miss him, but it is nice not playing taxi all week to Crockett and back multiple times a day.  In due time he will have a group of guys to lean on and we'll not be texting and talking all day long, which will be good too.  I love hearing from him, but I certainly am not interesting enough to keep him entertained with new stories every time he calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment