Monday, August 7, 2023

8/7/23 Popping Into What Is Going On Now?

     I am skipping the whole catching up for a day, I am writing this on Sunday morning, and it is two days before Mijo goes off to college (he reports to football practice on Tuesday).  We did decide on SU after all for his college, mostly because he has a chance to play football.  Because of this opportunity, his life has remained relatively unchanged.  We spent all of his free time going back and forth to Crockett HS so he could continue lifting weights and working out with his high school teammates for conditioning and strength training.  He now has a truck we got for him, but he does not have his driver's license, so I have not just left him to his own devices and let him drive alone everywhere.  He has driven to the movies a couple times here in Southpark Meadows and I let him drive to the park next to Crockett for a birthday party of one of his friends, but I don't want him getting comfortable driving without his license.  As a result, I got the honor of taking him back and forth for the last two months, all the way to this past Thursday, and only because they don't meet on Fridays, plus he had a dentist appointment.

    At this point, he has spent plenty of time with the friends that mattered to him and has even said his goodbyes.  His girlfriend comes over randomly for a couple hours here and there, I am sure she will miss him a lot.  We have a lunch date with my family around 2:00pm, I was hoping to get Boy to join, but he too has a big trip, to Japan at the end of the week and says he has last minute things to get done.

    It's fixing to be a brand-new world.  I am sad because of the change; my life has been set around getting both boys to school and making sure they have eaten and have what they need for the last 25 years or so.  Once I get past that, it will be pretty great, not having to get up to take him to school at random times, this boy fluctuated from 6:30am for wrestling to 9:30am for late start days, I never knew what time to get up.  Plus, we will see him every week at the football games, whether he comes home or not on the weekends.

    I do love that because he is insisting on playing football, it is like he joined the military in that his life will be very structured and there will be adults yelling at him and relying on him to do the right thing.  I don't doubt that Mijo wouldn't do the right thing, but I also like that there is that layer of coaching staff whose job is to help make these young men better adults, whether they win or lose on the field.  There is so much more gained by being a part of a larger group which I have seen in Mijo firsthand.  I am excited to see his progression through the next four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment